Tuesday, March 2, 2010

3rd Generation...




For the past six weeks I have been bringing Dreya to work with me. She is my teenage daughter. I had mixed emotions about this at the beginning. I like submerging myself in whatever I do and I was worried that I would not be able to separate parenting from employing. I decided to go in with an open mind. I have come to find that having three generations working together in one place is rather warm and comforting. It's a minute melting pot of it's own in a sense. First, there is the sheer wisdom and experience of my mother, mixed in with own experience and energy, sprinkled with the sponge of my daughter willing to take in any information being offered by her "employer"... not to be confused with her "mother". I like this. I am inspired by Dreya's ability to retain the information being fed to her. It's rather cool to say things one time; know that she is remembering; and will apply when necessary. It has also changed our mother/daughter time to some degree, because on the drive home we are on a different level together. I respect her as a young adult and I think she feels this. So the scale containing those mixed emotions about having 3 generations working in one place has shifted its weight. And for this, I am grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment